Regenerate the environment & engage the community in sustainable practices
Having a connected community living in a rejuvenated environment
The Okere Project Trust
We are a collective of local residents and local business owners aiming to improve the environment in which we live.
Predator Free Okere Falls project is currently run under The Okere Project Trust.
The Okere Project Trust has been created with the aims of but not limited to:
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation to eradication of invasive fauna by pest control in Okere and the outer regions via trapping techniques, and/or poisons/toxins,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation eradication of invasive flora by manual removal, suppression, out-competing, and/or poisons/toxins spraying,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation seed collection, and/or plant propagation, for the purposes of habitat restoration, and creation of new food sources, within the Okere area and it’s outer regions,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation soil preparation, and/or native planting, within the Okere area and it’s outer regions,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs to establish a community centre to run educational, and/or sustainable workshops for community members,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs to attain lands to grow native/or exotic seedlings for restoration purposes, increasing food source for local fauna, and/or creation of a community garden initiative,
- Liaise with national and/or international initiatives in environmental and community education,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation to recovery of threatened native species flora and/or fauna,
- Establishing and assisting native bush, reserve, and forest, regeneration groups in the Okere region and outer regions,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs in relation to access, track creation and/or management,
- Aiding the extension of programs for conservation covenants and agreements on private lands,
- Initiating and/or supporting programs and/or events that assists to promote education and/or awareness on either of the following; sustainability, conservation, community connection, environmental restoration, or environmental appreciation.